Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Waiting for Inspiration

I have been doing very little sewing, this is in large part due to my hectic work schedule. I have been working some much and long hours that by the time I get home from work I am tapped out. It's sort of making me depressed to be honest....I am feeling uninspired. Hopefully, when we get passed this looming deadline at the shop I will be less burnt out and able to devote some mental space to being creative.

I very rarely start projects and don't finish them, or start one and then start another...but right now I have two projects just sort of languishing and I am creeping dangerously close to giving up on them. One of said projects is a pair of shorts, and I don't feel too guilty about abandoning it because basically I don't like the fabric. It just occured to me that I lost interest in that project because I don't like the fabric...it was this fabric I got in a bargain bin long ago and you know it was just not meant to be shorts. The good news is that I practiced a new technique for finishing seams, at least I got something out of it. I encased one edge in the other, I really like this finish and plan to use it again in the future. However, I still don't like the shorts so I am going to abandon them.


What I am really feeling guilty about is a particular blouse I have started, I knew right off it would be difficult. Using Chiffon is usually a nightmare, but I have successfully worked with it on two other occasions so I wasn't too worried. But I am having a hell of a time and last night I got so disgusted that I folded everything up and set it aside because I just didn't have it in me to do battle with it. I have barely even started it too, not a good place to be in and feeling ready to chuck it out the window. Thinking about it some more I realize I am just not in the best place, considering my work load and other life commitments, to be undertaking super complex projects. My patience is in short supply, I don't want to give up on it since it looks so amazing in my mind but I think I am just going to set it aside for the time being and re-evaluate my plan. I would hate to have wasted that fabric, while it wasn't a huge investment in that the 2 yards cost me $15.00 (I got it when a local fabric store was closing last year), I love it and the thought of wasting it makes me sort of sad. There aren't really any pictures to share of this barely begun project, hopefully it will get to a point where there will be something to share.

On another note, I did go on a sort of Vogue sewing pattern buying frenzy recently, here are my acquisitions:


I think I'll start feeling more creatively ambition once my time and mind aren't being commandeered by work so much. I think I will need to ease back in with something simple and easy. What about you? Do you ever find yourself creatively apathetic or so busy that you can't get creative? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amelia.. Its ok to go thought inspired moments.. take the time to relax and find time to enjoy your free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have taken your advice and I have basically just been chillin' for the past week and you know it is kind of nice and inspiration struck! I ran across a pretty white cotton dress in a magazine, it inspired me and I have just finished cutting it out. I love cotton! So much fun to use.

      Delete