Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Musings and a Quickie Dress Update

I just have to get through this last day at the office and then I am on a mini break from work, 5 whole days of work free time! I plan on getting creative with it, for sure...after I eat too much.

Last evening, after I finally cut out my Quickie Dress (I'm already 3 days behind schedule not so quickie, ehh?), while catching up on the 4th season of Mad Men and cursing Betty Drapers' hellish attitude, I had fun taking stock of some of the vintage things I have acquired as of late, well some of the things I've had for awhile but I had squirreled them away so it was a reintroduction....and I thought I might share them....after this update.

Quickie Dress, Quickie Dress why did I name you this? It's like I cursed you, it has taken me way to long to cut this thing out, there are 4 pattern pieces for goodness sakes! I think I need to settle on an actual name....the fabric reminds me of puddles, Mr. SewlyaHarpist says ponds but I think I am just going to call it the "Fall Silk Dress"

100% Vintage Silk from Germany (ca. 1980s)
I was supposed to whip it up over the weekend if you recall but Saturday I was in Santa Barbara all day rehearsing with my ensemble. Sunday was spent tracing out the pattern, since I didn't want to cut out my size (I like how vintage patterns only come in one size instead of like 5 and have all the lines for each size overlapping each other and getting all confused). I also steamed the silk, using my new handy dandy Shark Steamer Sunday evening and before I knew it it was 10PM and I hadn't really begun, just prepped (I take forever to prep).

Press & Refresh
I had to work pretty late on Monday so I was only able to cut out the front that night but last night I got home at 5 (awesome!) and I was able to finish cutting out the back, sleeves & neck binding.


If this fabric was anything but silk or was silk and did not have diagonal lines to attempt to match I think it would have taken me a lot less time...I love working with silk but I hate it. I guess I should say I love the results but laying it out and cutting it out is a chore I don't relish, it just doesn't want to stay in place. I was getting pissed last night since I was trying to match the diagonal lines and stay on grain and it kept sliding around, fortunately I had a little over three yards to work with. I am really liking this fabric more and more, Mr. SAH advised against buying it, on Etsy, but I went ahead because I thought it was so interesting visually and I liked that it came from Germany!

 I'll have more updates after the Holiday on the progress of this dress. So these are my little odds & ends....


Zig Zag
Blind Stitch



I bought these at an Antique Mall in downtown Ventura, I saw the boxes from across the room and I made a mad dash over to them. The Zig Zagger & Blind Stitch attachments were $10.00  I bought them both got them home and was somewhat disappointed, you get what you pay for and maybe I shouldn't have bought them so impulsively and it's sort of my fault! So The Blind Stitch Hemmer is for a Singer 301 NOT a Featherweight, sad times since I was super excited about that and the Zig Zagger needs a clamp thing replaced or tightened because it keeps slipping and won't work properly. All is not totally lost I suppose, I can always try and resell the blind hemmer (I saw them going on eBay for between $50.00-$75.00!) and I work with engineers and fabricators and I am sure I can get that Zig Zagger up and running with some modifications.

Anybody?
Because one hideous clown costume isn't enough, you need to dress your child in one as well....talk about developing a complex. My mom sent me a bunch of vintage patterns she found, there were some good ones but like any lot of patterns there are always a couple duds....I don't want to throw these away but I don't want them either, anybody interested. I would totally send them to someone who will use them. 

Vintage Dritz Hem Marker
I found this hem marker in another vintage store in downtown Ventura and I bought it because I like vintage sewing ephemera and thought it was cool but it has just been collecting dust in shoved in a corner for a few months now. I don't need it but I don't want to get rid of it either, it still has its original vial of chalk dust! How cool is that? 
George Halley for Saks Fifth Ave. (ca. 1960s)
I have been thinking on this dress, I bought it on eBay awhile back because I think it is awesome but it is just a little too big. It should cling and fit snuggly so it looks sleek instead it looks like I'm wearing a sack. I want to take it in at the side seams but I am scared of messing it up. It is from the 1960s and is from George Halley's designer collection for Saks Fifth Avenue, it is in great condition and I want to wear it but I won't until it fits. I think I just need to suck it up and attempt it or I'll never wear it and what a waste of a cool vintage dress. 
So that's all I got just some ramblings for today. 

Cheers!

Amelia

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE Mad Men too!

    I know that you mentioned that you buy a lot of fabric online. Other than Etsy where else do you buy from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously have all the seasons on DVD and I don't have cable so I watch it all the time. I love the clothes.

    I buy from a couple places, I'll send you an email to the address you have linked through your blogger profile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog via the link to your last post (so well observed, by the way!) on Did You Make That, and imagine my surprise when I saw you mention Santa Barbara - that's where I live! Funny to go through England to find a local sewing blogger, eh? Great vintage sewing finds in Ventura, I should get down there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Santa Barbara...I go up there almost every Saturday to play my harp with a group of harpists. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete