Friday, June 10, 2011

Summer Essentials Sew Along Plan

I finally found a "Sew Along" to join. For those who do not know what a sew along is, it is a group of people that are all working on the same project or similar projects and posting their progress and results online.

This particular sew along, Summer Essentials 2011, is perfect since I am already basically doing this. The goal of this sew along is to complete 5 or more items of summer clothing by the beginning of August 2011. My plan may be somewhat ambition I do not know, especially since I plan to have mastered "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd on my harp by then, but what the hell.....

My plan is as follows:


1) "The New Look Blouse Project":

This blouse project is so very close to completion as evidenced by my postings about it. So I won't get that much into it since it can be read about here:

The New Look Blouse Project














2) "The Recession Recess Romper Project":

Same story as above, find it here. I plan to wear this on the Fourth of July....Which will be a celebration as it is one year since my gnarly car accident.



3) "The Who Wears Short Shorts Project":

These are going to be super fun to make since I really love the pattern. I lost out on it on e-bay but I ended up finding them on Etsy, which means it's destiny! I was so drawn to the artwork on the front cover that I had to have it. I plan on using the "Slash and Spread" method to make them a 26" waist, who even has a 24" waist? I will be making View B.

Got Nair?

The fabric I found in a "Sample Swatch" bin at the fabric store that is closing down....I have found so many treasures there. I'm sad that place is closing but because their prices are so good I have been able to buy fabrics I usually wouldn't be able to afford. Anyway this particular fabric is a Silk Charmeuse....I think and there is 1 1/8 of a yard which is perfect as the pattern calls for 1yd. I don't know if it is "Charmeuse" I only know that it is in fact real silk. I LOOOOOVE silk!


4) "The Voila! A Voile Blouse Project"


Like the woman before me I too plan on going with View #2. I thought the neckline was so unique that I must have it in my wardrobe....I also really just liked how the pattern envelope looked when I saw it. There I go judging a book by its cover once again.


I will be using this beautiful fabric, you can see how sheer it is with the print showing through the top layer. It too came from the "Sample Swatch" bin...there was quite a bit of it about 2 1/2 yds. I think it will be perfect! I might be able to make another pair of shorts in addition to the blouse and have a matchy matchy set. I will have to line it though since it is so sheer but the feel of it is awesome it is so smooth it feels like silk....which as has been previously mentioned I love.


5) "The Simply a Dress Project"


I found this carefree and fun little number at "Second Chance" in Omaha, Nebraska when I was there at the end of last month....I plan on making View #2, I am noticing a pattern here as I tend to always make View #2 or B. The added bonus is that the pattern comes with pieces and instructions for making a "Bow Belt", which is sort of shown on View #1 but you really have to look. So I will be making that as well.

No fabric for this yet, selection is still pending...stay tuned.


6) "The Parisienne Scene Tote Project":

I have been wanting to make a tote bag to lug my harp music around in, especially on Saturdays when I go up to Santa Barbara to meet with my instructor. None of the patterns I could find had what I needed in a sheet music tote bag.I ended up finding a pattern in the bargain discount bin for baby accessories, (bib, layette, diaper bag, etc.) the diaper bag is just right. The right size, with side pockets and a long shoulder strap! So I can just save the bib and layette for later....maybe someone I know will have a baby again.


I will be using some fabric my mom sent me that has Parisiennes all over it in various Parisian scenes....I am partial to fabrics that have ladies all over it for some reason. 

These six projects are for sure for sure going down. Time permitting I will also make another blouse from my favorite pattern McCall #7242 out of Silk Chiffon, basically exactly the same as "The New Look Blouse Project" but different fabric print. I also plan to make a dress from another pattern I got in Omaha but it is a little less summery and a little more late summer/early fall. It can be my transition piece because my Fall 2011 wardrobe is already coming together in my head!

Stay Tuned....

Cheers!

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment